Assistant Technical Director
Position: Assistant Technical Director
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: Immediate
ABOUT CROW'S THEATRE
For almost 40 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that premiere in Toronto often followed by national and international tours. Resonating with Toronto’s civic, community, and cultural milieu, Crow’s Theatre adapts and evolves with the social, economic, and cultural environment of the city. Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural destination for its far-reaching imagination, ideas, exchange, diversity, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
Led by Artistic and General Director, Chris Abraham and Executive Director Sherrie Johnson, Crow’s Theatre is located at the corner of Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East in Toronto’s east end. Our home at Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for dynamic cultural and community programming: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (90); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80); the full-service Lobby Bar; as well as an onsite restaurant which can accommodate 60 seated indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, or national origin. Crow’s Theatre is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
This is a supervisory position. The role of an ATD is to assist the TD to facilitate smooth running of the project. Additionally, they need to function as the Technical Director in their absence and should be able to lead the team with equal efficiency.
- Work with the TD in overseeing all production related aspects, from conception to completion.
- General supervising, assisting, and overseeing the technical aspects of the daily routine.
- Oversee load in, changeover or strike, as required or assigned.
- Attend production meetings, tech rehearsals and previews as determined by the TD or PM.
- Assist to create load-in / load-out schedules in conjunction with the TD.
- Maintenance of equipment and inventory, inclusive of building infrastructure, and suggest improvements.
- Track and order supplies and equipment as needed. Organize and maintain consumable materials.
- Report expenses for purchases and rentals to PM for approval.
- Assistance with day-to-day operation of the department as assigned by the TD and PM.
- Provide support as needed to other theatre staff.
- Ensure a safe working environment in all production areas.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- A solid background and training in lighting, audio, scenic construction and general theatre rigging.
- Working knowledge of CAD and/or Vectorworks, ETC Eos, Qlab, Microsoft Office Suite and general computer literacy.
- Knowledge of networking as it applies to Art-Net lighting control, and Dante Audio.
- Knowledge of basic audio systems including Dante and Yamaha Consoles.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Working at Heights certification.
- First Aid Training Certified or a willingness to obtain certification.
- A valid G Driver’s License is an asset.
Crow’s Theatre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment, selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require any accommodation during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com.