Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Position: Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: June 11, 2021
ABOUT CROW'S THEATRE
Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally.
In January 2017, following the completion of a $12 million capital campaign, Crow’s opened the doors to its first permanent home, Streetcar Crowsnest. As the first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End, Streetcar Crowsnest offers a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, wide-ranging community programming and partnerships.
Led by Artistic and General Director, Chris Abraham, and Executive Director, Sherrie Johnson, Streetcar Crowsnest houses multiple venues for programming and events: the Guloien Theatre; the Scotiabank Community Studio for performances, rehearsals and community activities; a stunning Lobby Bar; and its adjacent full-service restaurant Gare de l’Est.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Crow’s Theatre seeks a Bookkeeping & Finance Manager to join our team. This full-time position provides a unique opportunity to play a meaningful role with a vibrant and entrepreneurial cultural hub. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Bookkeeping & Finance Manager is responsible for the financial accounting, week to week bookkeeping, payroll, reporting and audit preparation. We are looking for a skilled and detailed individual who will approach the position with integrity, attention to detail, and consistency.
The following list outlines a range of specific tasks and responsibilities. Other duties will present themselves on an as needed basis:
- Perform entries for payables, receivables, accruals, pre-paid expenses, and deferrals
- Maintain an electronic database of all receipts for each organizational expense
- Perform other accounting duties including payroll, processing invoices, managing expense reimbursements, and writing and reconciling cheques on a bi-weekly basis
- Perform cash bank deposits; reconcile credit card deposits with POS and online purchases
- Prepare month-end and year-end income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements
- Prepare monthly report on budgeted spend vs. actuals for each account
- Maintain all other financial records in QuickBooks and prepare other reports as needed for program budgets
- Ensure timely and accurate accounting for Box office, Events, Bar and Theatre Production settlements and reconciliations
- Track donations and reconcile subledger
- Submit GST/HST charitable tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency on a quarterly basis
- Submit annual return to Industry Canada and T3010 to the Canada Revenue Agency on an annual (HSS does this now)
- Assist with annual external audit to provide required backup documents and support
- Superior knowledge & familiarity with QuickBooks Online
- Experience and knowledge of legislative requirements and framework covering charities, charitable status and required reporting
- Previous experience working with subledger, and CRMs would be considered an asset
- Previous experience with CRA submissions, including HST and payroll remittance
- Good time management with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and prioritize with minimal direction
- Strong judgement skills and absolute discretion with confidential and sensitive information
- University degree or College Diploma in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration (specializing in accounting)
- Strong analytical skills with experience in general ledger accounts reconciliation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Teams, SharePoint)
- Preference will be given to Certified Bookkeeper (CB) or Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
This is a permanent employment position with a salary commensurate with experience in the range of $55,000.00 – $70,000.00. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits and pension plan.
ON SITE REQUIREMENT
Subject to public health guidelines, this position will require on site work at least 3 days per week when the theatre is in full operation. Most accounting functions are digital, except cash bank deposits and physical cheque production. The candidate will require a car to deliver bank deposits.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and cover letter to email@example.com Refer to “Bookkeeping and Finance Manager” in the subject line.
The deadline to apply is June 11, 2021. We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
Crow’s Theatre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Crow’s Theatre will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Crow’s Theatre is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.