Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Position: Bookkeeping & Finance Manager
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: February 3, 2023
About Crow’s Theatre
For almost 40 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that premieres in Toronto often followed by national and international tours. Resonating with Toronto’s civic, community, and cultural milieu, Crow’s Theatre adapts and evolves with the social, economic, and cultural environment of the city. Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural destination for its far-reaching imagination, ideas, exchange, diversity, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
In January 2017, following the completion of a $12 million capital campaign, Crow’s Theatre opened the doors to its first permanent home, Streetcar Crowsnest, at the corner of Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East. The first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End, Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for dynamic cultural and community programming: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (90); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80); the full-service Lobby Bar; as well an onsite restaurant (Gare de l’Est) which can accommodate 60 seated indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio. The facility features state-of-the-art technical and specialized theatrical equipment, full streaming and digital event capabilities, and artistic and administrative offices.
About the Position
Crow’s Theatre seeks a Bookkeeping & Finance Manager to join our team. This full-time position provides a unique opportunity to play a meaningful role within a vibrant and entrepreneurial cultural hub. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Bookkeeping & Finance Manager is responsible for the financial accounting, week to week bookkeeping, payroll, reporting and audit preparation. We are looking for a skilled and detailed individual who will approach the position with integrity, attention to detail, and consistency.
- Perform entries for payables, receivables, accruals, pre-paid expenses, and deferrals
- Maintain an electronic database of all receipts for each organizational expense
- Perform other accounting duties including payroll, processing invoices, managing expense reimbursements, and writing and reconciling cheques on a bi-weekly basis
- Perform cash bank deposits; reconcile credit card deposits with POS and online purchases
- Maintain all other financial records in QuickBooks
- Ensure prompt and accurate accounting for Box office, Events, Bar and Theatre Production settlements and reconciliations
- Track donations and reconcile subledger
- Assist with annual external audit to provide required backup documents and support
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the month end close process
- Prepare reports as needed for program budgets
- Prepare quarterly and year-end financial statements and management reports with variance analysis
- Prepare quarterly financial reporting package for Finance/Audit Committee and Board, providing analysis & follow up on identified items
- Prepare year-end financial statements, liaising with auditors
- Prepare monthly cash flow projections
- Manage weekly transaction processing
- Prepare quarterly projection exercise for annual results
- Review and/or monthly reconciliations – Balance Sheet accounts, etc.
- Provide accounting analysis and working papers for Year End financials preparation and external audit
Budgeting and Planning
- Build budget models
- Prepare departmental and consolidated corporate budget
- Cash flow planning and budgeting
- Treasury management: banking reporting requirements
- Credit Card coordination
- RPP Reporting
- Government grant financial reporting
- Manage HST and payroll tax reporting
And other duties as they present themselves or on an as needed basis.
- Superior knowledge & familiarity with QuickBooks Online
- Experience and knowledge of legislative requirements and framework covering charities, charitable status and required reporting
- Previous experience working with subledger, and CRMs would be considered an asset
- Previous experience with CRA submissions, including HST and payroll remittance
- Effective time management with the ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines, and prioritize with minimal direction
- Strong judgement skills and absolute discretion with confidential and sensitive information
- University degree or College Diploma in Accounting, Commerce, Business Administration (specializing in accounting)
- Strong analytical skills with experience in general ledger accounts reconciliation
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Teams, SharePoint)
Preference will be given to Certified Bookkeeper (CB) or Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA).
This is a permanent employment position with a salary commensurate with experience in the range of $65,000.00 – $75,000.00. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits and pension plan.
COVID-19 VACCINATION & MASK MANDATE
As a condition of employment, all Crow’s Theatre employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using a Health Canada approved vaccination dosage before joining the organization. For up-to-date information on our public vaccination policy and mask mandate please visit our website.
ON SITE REQUIREMENT
Subject to public health guidelines, this position will require on site work at least 1 day per week when the theatre is in full operation. Most accounting functions are digital, except cash bank deposits and physical cheque production. The candidate will require a car to deliver bank deposits.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Bookkeeping and Finance Manager” in the subject line.
The deadline to apply is February 3, 2023.
Crow’s Theatre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment, selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require any accommodation during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com.
Crow’s Theatre is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.