Director of Development
Position: Director of Development
Location: Toronto, Ontario
ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
Founded in 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work.
Since its inception, the company has developed, produced and presented over 100 theatrical works, establishing a reputation in Canada and abroad with premieres, tours and remounts of some of Canada’s most successful and award-winning productions. In January 2017, following a successful $11.6M capital campaign, Crow’s opened the doors to Streetcar Crowsnest, the first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End. Crow’s new home is the anchor arts centre for one of the east end’s fastest growing creative clusters. Streetcar Crowsnest offers a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, arts events for all ages, as well as wide-ranging community programming and partnerships. The facility includes a 200-seat main theatre, a 90-seat studio, a beautiful lobby bar, support production and administrative areas, and an onsite 60-seat restaurant.
The excellence of Crow’s Theatre extends beyond its artistic calibre and reputation. Crow’s Theatre receives top ratings from its public and private sector contributors. Notably for a mid-size organization, Crow’s annual private sector fundraising exceeds $1.1M annually. Crow’s has recorded over 20 consecutive years of successful budget surplus.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The primary responsibilities of this role include: advancement of fundraising strategies, driving the successful implementation of annual individual and sponsorship campaigns, developing acquisition campaigns for new donors and supporters and, in partnership with the Artistic Director and Managing Director, the cultivating and stewarding of relationships with key stakeholders including foundations, business leaders, our Board of Directors and our general patron base. The Director of Development will be accountable for a meaningful annual fundraising target, as well as additional project-specific campaigns that will roll out in the coming seasons.
Driven and detail-oriented, the Director of Development will have breadth of development experience and perspective in fundraising. This experience will include demonstrated success in the solicitation of major donors and corporate sponsors, and in engaging and leveraging senior volunteers in major gift fundraising.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a seasoned or mid-career fundraising professional to take a leadership role with a vibrant and unique mid-sized performing arts centre that punches above its weight with respect to fundraising success and is well poised to grow on its current successes.
The following list outlines key responsibilities:
- With management, develop and implement a fundraising and sponsorship plan, with related strategies that involves corporate and individual giving, programming sponsorships, and government and foundation grants
- Provide leadership to position, the organization and the development team, and marshal the resources necessary to achieve the key goals and objectives of the fundraising strategy and fundraising targets.
- Assess current priorities, workload, and resources, and establish an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed
- Maintain and grow Crow’s fundraising database and its policies for recording, maintaining and updating current donor and prospective donor information
- Continue to improve the systems for tracking of donor information and history, recognition delivery and prospect cultivation
- Provide leadership in fundraising, cultivation and sponsorship delivery events, including corporate sponsorship client events, and annual gala
- Implement the donor recognition policy with emphasis on stewardship and donor engagement, including hosting a number of special events each year
- Research prospective funders/supporters and manage fund development pipelines/prospect systems
- Ensure impeccable management of donations, documentation, receipting, payments and thank-you’s, and provide regular reports to management and the Board of Directors
- At least 5 years’ experience in fundraising / development, preferably working in an arts organization in a senior development position, and robust knowledge of the not-for-profit environment
- Highly motivated and self-driven with a demonstrable fundraising knowledge and aptitude
- Ability to seek out and implement innovative fundraising and sales strategies
- Superior writing and communication skills are a must
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and to work well under tight timelines
- Strong work ethic, and professional and personal integrity
- Robust knowledge of CRA regulations for the charitable sector
- High level of professionalism and drive
- Experience with fundraising databases
- Post-secondary education is required
This is a permanent full-time employment position with a salary commensurate with experience. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits package.
To apply, please email
your detailed resume and a cover letter, in PDF form, to email@example.com
. Refer to “Director of Development” in subject line.
We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.