Director of Development for Crow’s Theatre
Position: Director of Development
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: Open until filled
ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
For more than 30 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally. Resonating with Toronto’s civic, community, and cultural milieu, Crow’s Theatre adapts and evolves with the social, economic, and cultural environment of the city. Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural destination for its far-reaching imagination, ideas, exchange, diversity, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
Led by Artistic and General Director, Chris Abraham, and Executive Director, Sherrie Johnson, Crow’s Theatre is located at the corner of Dundas Street East and Carlaw Avenue in Toronto’s east end. Our home at Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for cultural and community programming and events: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (90); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80); and the Lobby Bar. We also have a full-service restaurant on site that features 60 seats indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio. The facility features state-of-the-art technical and specialized theatrical equipment, full streaming and digital event capabilities, and artistic and administrative offices.
The primary responsibilities of this role include advancement of fundraising strategies, driving the successful implementation of annual individual and sponsorship campaigns, developing acquisition campaigns for new donors and supporters and, in partnership with the Artistic Director and Executive Director, the cultivating and stewarding of relationships with key stakeholders including foundations, business leaders, our Board of Directors and our general patron base. The Director of Development will be accountable for a meaningful annual fundraising target, as well as additional project-specific campaigns that will roll out in the coming seasons.
Driven and detail-oriented, the Director of Development will have breadth of development experience and perspective in fundraising. This experience will include demonstrated success in the solicitation of major donors and corporate sponsors, and in engaging and leveraging senior volunteers in major gift fundraising.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a seasoned or mid-career fundraising professional to take a leadership role with a vibrant and unique mid-sized performing arts centre that punches above its weight with respect to fundraising success and is well poised to grow on its current successes.
The Director of Development responsibilities include:
- With management, develop and implement a fundraising and sponsorship plan, with related strategies that involves corporate and individual giving, programming sponsorships, and government and foundation grants
- Provide leadership to position, the organization and the development team, and marshal the resources necessary to achieve the key goals and objectives of the fundraising strategy and fundraising targets
- Assess current priorities, workload, and resources, and establish an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed
- Maintain and grow Crow’s fundraising database and its policies for recording, maintaining and updating current donor and prospective donor information
- Continue to improve the systems for tracking of donor information and history, recognition delivery and prospect cultivation
- Provide leadership in fundraising, cultivation and sponsorship delivery events, including corporate sponsorship client events, and annual gala
- Implement the donor recognition policy with emphasis on stewardship and donor engagement, including hosting a number of special events each year
- Research prospective funders/supporters and manage fund development pipelines/prospect systems
- Ensure impeccable management of donations, documentation, receipting, payments and thank-you’s, and provide regular reports to management and the Board of Directors
- At least 5 years’ experience in fundraising / development, preferably working in an arts organization in a senior development position, and robust knowledge of the not-for-profit environment
- Highly motivated and self-driven with a demonstrable fundraising knowledge and aptitude
- Ability to seek out and implement innovative fundraising and sales strategies
- Superior writing and communication skills are a must
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and to work well under tight timelines
- Strong work ethic, and professional and personal
- Robust knowledge of CRA regulations for the charitable sector
- High level of professionalism and drive
- Experience with fundraising databases
- Post-secondary education is required
This is a permanent full-time employment position with a salary commensurate with experience. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits package and pension plan. Standard 40 hours, with evening and weekend work required. Occasional evening and weekend work is required, particularly during the run of shows. Salary Range: $65,000 – $85,000
COVID-19 VACCINATION & MASK MANDATE
As a condition of employment, all Crow’s Theatre employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 using a Health Canada approved vaccination dosage before joining the organization. For up-to-date information on our vaccination policy and mask mandate please visit our website.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter, in PDF form, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to “Director of Development” in subject line.
The deadline to apply is OPEN. Interviews shall be conducted as soon as a qualified candidate applies and is selected. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Thank you to all applicants; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis. We are also committed to building a more equitable, inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, culture, nationality, family status, sexual orientation, and physical ability. If you require any accommodations during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com.