Director of Marketing & Communications
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Director of Marketing & Communications for Crow’s Theatre
Position: Director of Marketing & Communications
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date of Posting: August 8, 2018
Job Start Date: October 2018
Application Deadline: August 27, 2018
ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
Since 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work.
In January 2017, Crow’s opened the doors to Streetcar Crowsnest, the first performing arts facility of its kind in Toronto’s East End. Streetcar Crowsnest offers a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, wide-ranging community programming and partnerships. Crow’s upcoming 36th season, with 10 shows in-house and 3 touring productions, will be our third season at Streetcar Crowsnest.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Crow’s Theatre seeks a strategic thinker and energetic relationship-builder to join our team, take Crow’s audience growth to the next level, and meet annual earned targets.
Our desired candidate has a minimum of 5 years experience as a department lead or mid-management role in the marketing department of a mid-sized or large theatre or arts organization.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for the development, implementation, reporting and evaluation of strategies and tactics designed to meet and exceed Crow’s annual ticket sales and year-over-year revenue growth goals. Our dream candidate is a true “triple-threat”: a self-starter with a keen knack for both identifying and implementing innovative marketing strategies, a deft ability to close the deal on traditional and grassroots sales, and a proactive leader who can effectively inspire and supervise a team of staff and contractors toward maximum results.
The following list outlines key responsibilities:
- Develop innovative and aggressive marketing campaigns to promote the theatre and its related activities, and particularly increase repeat attendance and public awareness throughout Crow’s local east end communities
- Maximize Crow’s positioning in a crowded marketplace by creatively resourcing communication opportunities and cultivating relationships that result in increased box office revenues
- Seasonal promotion including cultivating and maintaining the theatre brand and each season’s branding
- Manage and ultimate accountability for department personnel (full-time, part-time and freelance contractors) including publicist, box office, patron (FOH) services, graphic design, social media coordination, marketing coordination, digital strategies.
- Work with all staff, contract services, photographers, designers, printers and contracted services to ensure the most competitive prices and best results for these services
- Manage and maintain the annual and per-production marketing budgets
- Develop and manage creation of all collateral and advertising materials, including brochures, programs, print and digital advertising, promotional and other materials
- Conduct research and develop strategy for brand imagery, develop visual asset strategy for season productions and manage promotional shoots.
- Represent the organization with a variety of stakeholder groups such as partner and industry organizations, arts community and business associations.
- A minimum of 6+ years experience in marketing and communications at culturally-related organization(s)
- Highly motivated and self-driven with a demonstrable record of exceeding sales targets and productivity
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal
- Well-developed leadership skills and enthusiasm for directing and motivating a team
- Highly proficient in computer programs: Word, Excel, Outlook. Knowledge of Mac computers and systems would be an asset
- A passion for theatre or performing arts. An understanding of the non-profit performing arts sector in Canada is an asset.
- High professional standards with an acute attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure, independently or as part of a team
- This position is full time with flexible hours
This is a full-time permanent position with a salary commensurate with experience. The position includes immediate participation in Crow’s extended health benefits package.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to “Director of Marketing and Communications” in subject line.
The deadline for applications is August 27, 2018.
We thank all applicants, but only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion or national origin.