Position: Graphic Designer
Department: Marketing and Communications
Location: Toronto, Ontario / Remote
Start Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: Open
ABOUT CROW'S THEATRE
For 40 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for creating and promoting provocative and award-winning new theatre work.
Led by Artistic and General Director Chris Abraham and Executive Director Sherrie Johnson, Crow’s Theatre is located at the corner of Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East in Toronto’s east end. Our home at Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for dynamic cultural and community programming: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (80 seats); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80 seats); the full-service Lobby Bar; as well as an onsite restaurant which can accommodate 60 seated indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio.
Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural organization for its far-reaching imagination, cultural exchange, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
Recent celebrated productions include Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812, The Master Plan, Uncle Vanya, Fifteen Dogs, and As You Like it, A Radical Retelling by Cliff Cardinal. These productions and more would not be possible without a talented and passionate team of employees.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Crow’s Theatre is seeking a Graphic Designer to join our small but mighty marketing team to help us tell our off-stage stories. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the graphic designer brings to life creative ideas that promote and celebrate the company’s activities including each subscription season, other programming at Streetcar Crowsnest, partner productions, digital and multi-platform presentations, development events, and more.
The Graphic Designer’s focus is on developing and delivering exceptional visual experiences through graphical communications and content that is relevant, entertaining, and captivating for diverse audiences, across multiple mediums and platforms.
The ideal candidate has a strong portfolio of work and is a strategic thinker and effective communicator who can translate complex messages into clean, elegant designs that capture the attention of our audience and spark emotional and connective responses.
This position also supports Crow’s Theatre’s philanthropy department and oversees brand integrity and consistency throughout the organization.
1. With guidance and support from the marketing and communications team, execute creative projects for the entire organization from concept through completion, including:
Marketing and fundraising print collateral such as the season brochure, advertisements, invitations, proposals, reports, house programmes, banners, and signage.
- Digital assets for social media, Mailchimp newsletters, email and web graphics, titling/credit slates for video, blogs and podcasts, infographics, media kits, cross-promotions, patron communications, contests, and more.
- Image resizing, retouching, and editing as needed.
- Labelling, organizing, and maintaining all working files in their respective folders in our SharePoint online directory.
2. Support and contribute to the management of Crow’s Theatre social media accounts by:
- Contributing to the editorial calendar.
- Designing and creating exciting visual content for daily organic and/or sponsored posts.
- Monitoring social media activity for trends, changes in design requirements, and best practices.
- Establish and maintain systems for completing multiple projects simultaneously, on tight deadlines, and delivering high quality artwork, checking for accuracy and brand consistency.
3. Communicate and collaborate frequently with the marketing and communications team and staff members from all departments regarding project status, timelines and deadlines, and participate in a collaborative revision process until final design is approved.
4. Actively contribute to the success of the marketing and communications department’s objectives and goals by ideating and initiating creative solutions with enthusiasm and professionalism.
5. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- A strong creative mindset with post-secondary education in design, communications, or related fields.
- Minimum three years’ experience in a previous design role, working in-house or within an agency, preferably in the arts or non-profit, with a proven track record of creativity, innovation, and producing high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Highly proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Lightroom, and more). Knowledge of print production processes and requirements.
- Experience with graphic design, motion graphics, animation, photography, videography, and video editing. Knowledge of compliance for accessibility standards an asset.
- An exceptional eye for detail, outstanding design and layout skills, and strong knowledge of typography. Experience image editing, colour correction, and retouching, content strategy, UX design, and other design principles. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new software programs and updates, apps, design trends, and best practices. Working knowledge of HTML/CSS is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 platform including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams.
- Excellent organizational skills, exceptional communication skills–written, verbal, and listening–and the ability to work independently with confidence while knowing when to be a team player.
- Adaptable to hybrid work (mostly remote) and a flexible work schedule including attending performances, events, rehearsals, meetings etc. on site, on evenings or weekends.
- Comfortable with giving and receiving feedback, a sense of humour, and willingness to learn and explore on the job are the greatest assets.
This is a permanent full-time employment position with a salary commensurate with experience. The position includes participation in Crow’s extended health benefits package and pension plan. Standard 40 hours per work with some evening and weekend work required, particularly during the run of shows. Salary range $50,000 - $60,000 annually.
To apply, please email
your detailed resume and cover letter, in PDF form, including a link to a portfolio of work, to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line “Graphic Designer.”
The deadline to apply is open. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. Thank you to all applicants; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Crow’s is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis. We are also committed to building a more equitable, inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, culture, nationality, family status, sexual orientation, and physical ability. If you require any accommodations during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com