Position: House Technician
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: July/August 2023
ABOUT CROW'S THEATRE
For almost 40 years, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that premiere in Toronto often followed by national and international tours. Resonating with Toronto’s civic, community, and cultural milieu, Crow’s Theatre adapts and evolves with the social, economic, and cultural environment of the city. Crow’s Theatre is distinguished as a preeminent cultural destination for its far-reaching imagination, ideas, exchange, diversity, and grassroots belief that the arts are essential to healthy and thriving communities.
Led by Artistic and General Director, Chris Abraham and Executive Director Sherrie Johnson, Crow’s Theatre is located at the corner of Carlaw Avenue and Dundas Street East in Toronto’s east end. Our home at Streetcar Crowsnest is comprised of four venues for dynamic cultural and community programming: the Guloien Theatre (200 seats); Studio Theatre (90); the Nada Ristich Studio Gallery (80); the full-service Lobby Bar; as well as an onsite restaurant which can accommodate 60 seated indoors and 75 on the outdoor patio.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non- discrimination in employment on any basis including race, creed, color, age, sex, religion, or national origin. Crow’s Theatre is committed to building a more diverse workplace and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
- When assigned, operating lighting, video, sound and stage aspects of productions and events.
- Working with the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director to facilitate the install and set-up of all related technical aspects.
- Participating in the construction of any lighting, video or sound special effects as assigned by Technical Direction.
- Taking an active role in the Production Department to ensure the quality of all productions.
- Supervising and leading casual crew on installs and strikes of all technical equipment.
- Repairing and maintaining the stage and related equipment
- Following guidelines for the use of all production equipment and personnel
- Anticipating, identifying, and resolving show related problems
- Aiding the Production and Facility Manager in the maintenance of the physical plant.
- Following the policies and procedures of the company and ensuring the safe use of all the facility’s theatrical equipment on stage
- Working in close relation with Front of House staff on Production running.
- Making recommendations and observations to Technical Direction regarding ongoing maintenance required in the theatre.
- Maintaining professionalism in order to attain the best quality productions.
- Ensuring all company policies, Health & Safety, Fire, Employment Standards, and WHMIS regulations are followed by casual crew.
- Relevant post-secondary certification, education, or experience.
- Ability to program ETC EOS lighting consoles.
- Knowledge of Yamaha Digital Sound consoles
- Knowledge of programming and operation of QLAB
- Knowledge of lighting and audio network standards (DANTE, Art-Net)
- Knowledge of ‘safe theatre-rigging’ practices
- Additional audio and (video) experience is a bonus.
- General computer literacy
- Excellent communication, problem solving & people management skills.
To apply, please email your detailed resume and a cover letter in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org Please refer to “House Technician” in the subject line.
Crow’s Theatre thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Crow’s Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment, selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require any accommodation during the hiring process, please email us confidentially at email@example.com.