CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: CO-INSTRUCTOR/HOUSE TECHNICIAN, ARTIST COHORT TRAINING PROGRAM
Nov 18, 2016
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
CO-INSTRUCTOR/HOUSE TECHNICIAN, ARTIST COHORT TRAINING PROGRAM
ABOUT CROW’S THEATRE
Founded in 1983, Crow’s Theatre has been a leading force in the Canadian theatre landscape, recognized for provocative and award-winning new theatre work that has toured nationally and internationally.
In January 2017, Crow’s Theatre will open the doors to its first permanent home, Streetcar Crowsnest, offering a dynamic spectrum of affordable contemporary theatre, all-ages arts events, and wide-ranging community programming and partnerships. Streetcar Crowsnest houses three venues for cultural and community programming and events: the multi-configurational Guloien Theatre (225 seats); the Scotiabank Community Studio (100) for smaller performances, rehearsals and community activities; and a beautiful Lobby Bar adjacent to a full-service, 60-seat restaurant.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Along with the Technical Director, the House Technician/Co-Instructor will oversee and execute the installation and operations of events of all shapes and sized in the SCS and the Guloien. This position will primarily operate the SCS and aid in the training and mentorship of AXTP participants.
Crow’s is launching the first phase of paid Artists Cross Training Program (AXTP) to provide cross-discipline paid training and flexible employment for under-employed arts workers in our theatre and broader arts community.
• Preparing classroom materials for Crow’s Theatre’s AXTP
• Instructing Trainees during the three-week training course. Providing a basic education in Lighting, Sound, Staging, and Video
• Mentoring Trainees during the production process as they complete required labour hours
• Running the lighting, video, and sound aspects of all productions, as assigned
• Working with the Technical Director to facilitate the install and set-up of all related technical aspects
• Tracking rental equipment and related budgets
• Participating in the construction of any lighting, video or audio special effects required for the productions
• Leading casual crew on installs and strikes of all technical equipment
• Repairing and maintaining the stage and related equipment
• Aiding in the maintenance of the physical space, and reporting any deficiencies to the
Technical Director and Managing Director
• Following Crow’s policies and procedures and ensuring the safe use of all the facility’s theatrical equipment
• Anticipating, identifying, and resolving show related problems
• Taking an active role to ensure the quality of productions
• Working in close relation with the rest of the Crow’s team
• Making recommendations and observations to the Technical Director regarding ongoing maintenance required in the theatre
• Maintaining and anticipating the required stage related supplies
• Following guidelines for the use of all production equipment and personnel
• Ensuring all company policies, Health & Safety, Fire, Employment Standards, and WHMIS regulations are followed by casual crew
• Additional duties as required
Thorough and proven knowledge of the methods, techniques, materials and equipment used in the operation of stage settings, rigging, scenery, lighting, audio and soft-good systems
• Minimum of 2 years in a house technician position, production management – or, at minimum, 4 years of crew work
• Proficiency with relevant computer programs including CAD, Vector-Works, Q-Lab and
• A valid Canadian driver’s license is essential
• Exceptional communication and collaborative skills
• Basic carpentry skills would be an asset
• WHIMIS Certification is an asset
• First Aid & CPR Certification is required
This position will start full-time on December 5, 2016 and continue as such until May 2017.
This seasonal employee contract is paid hourly, in the range of $22 and $24 per hour, with anticipated average of 44 hours per week throughout the contract term.
Please email email@example.com and provide a Resume and Cover letter in PDF format. Both files must contain the full name of the applicant. Deadline for applications are bellow.
Thursday November 24, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
All applications will be reviewed, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.