CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: The RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize
Apr 24, 2017
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS TO CROW’S THEATRE’S
The RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize
In order to encourage and celebrate our most outstanding early-career directors, as well as to provide them a forum to practice their craft with professionals in a safe environment, Crow’s is proud to invite submissions for the third annual RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize.
The prize is made possible by the RBC Emerging Artists Project which helps artists bridge the gap from academic world to career, believing that the next generation of artists, in particular, are in need of extra support. RBC supports arts and artists in a range of genres – including visual, music, theatre, dance, literature and film - through a combination of donations and sponsorships.
Launched in 2015, The RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize provides a $5,000 award to a Canadian emerging director. In addition to the cash prize, the director receives a paid residency at Crow’s Theatre along with resources to support the development of a “Central Project” (one of the emerging director’s theatrical works-in-progress). The award recipient will be selected on a balance of award criteria by a jury of professional artists that includes Crow’s Artistic Director Chris Abraham. The jury will take into account the merits of the emerging director’s current body of work as well as how meaningful residency would prove to the director’s professional development. This prize and Crow’s Residency will recognize the creative potential of an up-and-coming theatre-maker, and provide the means to substantially advance their practice, by providing a resourced incubation lab for a new or existing work.
Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants must be practicing theatre directors for at least three years and no more than ten years. Directors of text-based or non-text-based work are invited to apply.
Applicants must have at least two professional directing credits. Productions at major curated theatre festivals (such as SummerWorks or Toronto Fringe Next Stage) will be accepted.
The Prize jury will take into account the proposed residency’s level of ambition and its transformative potential for the applicant. Equally important is the vision of the proposal and the applicant’s potential to realize the residency’s central project.
Each applicant should include in their nomination package:
- An introductory letter that outlines the emerging director’s practice, experience and personal vision. This letter is to be conceived as a kind of artist statement that communicates the emerging director’s passion and the kind of work they are interested in.
- A one-page project proposal for either one or two “Central Projects” to be considered for a Crow’s Residency. A “Central Project” can either be an adaptation or an original work that involves the emerging director as a lead artist. The applicant should describe the proposed work-in-progress and their connection to it, its current phase of development, and in what way it could be served by a Crow’s residency. Whether the applicant chooses to put forward one or two projects, this component of the nomination package should still be limited to a total of one page.
- A copy of the applicant’s CV
- Two letters of support from theatre professionals
- A maximum of 5 pages of support material. This can include production stills, reviews, or materials relevant to the Central Project proposed in the application. In lieu of written materials, the applicant is welcome to submit a video link. The duration of the video should be no more than 5 minutes.
Please submit all materials to Crow’s Theatre electronically, as a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
A shortlist of candidates will be interviewed by phone or Skype in advance of a recipient being selected.
The DEADLINE for all submissions is June 16, 2017. The recipient will be announced in late June.
Should you have any questions about eligibility or application details, please contact Associate Artistic Director Andrew Kushnir: email@example.com.