ONTARIO ARTS COUNCIL Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators 2017
Aug 18, 2017
Crow’s Theatre is proud to participate in the Ontario Arts Council Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program. As a third party recommender, we are able to allocate funds (1k to 5k each) based on merit of project and subject to final approval at the council level. Crow’s wishes to support the variety of needs and approaches that individual creators or collectives may have in creating original work. We are interested in projects that are in all stages of development. We would like to support theatre creators who are working on new play texts, creation based-models, found sources, and with unusual combinations of the three.
With the Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators, we would like to enable creators to:
- Begin initial research on a new project;
- Create a solid first draft of a new play;
- Further refine a current draft of a new play, or;
- If the project is collectively devised, find some time in a studio to develop material.
Crow’s Theatre is interested in supporting work that closely matches our mandate. In particular, work that deals with pivotal narratives, relevant to our current society. We will also take heed of projects that could eventually be supported by Crow’s Theatre beyond the Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program.
In recommending a project for this grant, we will evaluate:
- The quality of the proposed project (as evidenced in the proposal and/or the artist’s previous work).
- The relevance of the proposed project to Crow’s mandate and interests.
- Clarity about the developmental path for the project.
- Crow’s Theatre is committed to supporting work and artists that reflect a diversity of perspectives.
To be eligible for OAC project funding, you must:
- be a professional artist.
The OAC defines a professional artist as someone who has developed skills through training or practice, is recognized by artists working in the same artistic tradition, has a history of public presentation or publication, seeks payment for her or his work and actively practices his or her art. Short breaks in artistic work history are allowed.
- be a Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada, or have an application pending for Permanent Resident status and, if requested, be able to provide documentation to verify this
- be a resident of Ontario who has lived in Ontario for a minimum of one year prior to making a grant application,
- have a permanent physical address in Ontario, and
- live in Ontario no less than eight months a year.
The program also accepts applications from creation collectives, but not organizations. To be eligible for OAC project funding, your collective must:
- be mostly composed of professional artists or arts professionals,
- have at least 50% of its members residing in Ontario,
- not be an incorporated organization,
- have a permanent physical address in Ontario,
- operate on a not-for-profit basis.
- N.B. Individual recommenders may have additional eligibility requirements relating to geography, gender, culture, etc.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- applications from individuals or collectives whose reports were previously awarded
- OAC grants are overdue or incomplete;
- work that has been completed before you have received notification by the recommender;
- creation of non-theatre work – e.g. fiction, poetry, film, radio or TV, etc.;
- production workshop costs
We will require the following material with all applications:
- An up-to-date CV/resume.
- A concise one-page outline of the project describing the goals and objectives for the project as well as its history.
- A half-page statement describing how the project contributes to the artist’s growth at the moment.
- A writing sample if applicable (to a maximum of 15 pages).
- A budget detailing how funds will be allocated over the creation period.
Submission Deadline September 25th, 2017
The program runs from September 5, 2017 to January 31, 2018. Projects submitted to Crow's Theatre will not be reviewed after our submission deadline of September 25, 2017. Application packages will be available at the OAC website as of September 5th, 2017. Applications will only be accepted via e-mail.
Please send submissions to:
Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators