Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo (Cancelled)
- A Crow's Theatre Production
- Rajiv Joseph
- Rouvan Silogix
- Jan 11 - Jan 30, 2022
- Guloien Theatre
Smart, savagely funny, and visionary new work. - The New York Times
Crow’s Theatre presents the Toronto premiere of Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo, written by Rajiv Joseph and directed by Crow’s Theatre Associate Artistic Director Rouvan Silogix.
Pulitzer Prize short-listed, Tony Award nominated, and National Endowment for the Arts award winner for Outstanding New American Play, Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo is set amid the chaos of the American occupation of Iraq. A darkly comic tale narrated by an existentially minded tiger held captive in the Baghdad Zoo, the play follows the intertwined lives of two American marines and one Iraqi gardener as they search through the rubble of war for friendship, redemption, and a toilet seat made of gold.
Playwright Rajiv Joseph is a two-time Obie Award winner for Best New American Play for Guards at the Taj and Describe the Night, which also won a Lucille Lortel Award. Director Rouvan Silogix was a finalist for the RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize and served as Assistant Director on Julius Caesar at Crow’s Theatre.
All performances will operate at 50% capacity with physical distancing in place.
Performed in English with Arabic.
- Kristen Thomson - Tiger
- Ahmed Moneka - Musa
- Christopher Allen - Kev
- Jamie Mac - Tom
- Ali Kazmi - Iraqi Man, Uday Hussein
- Mahsa Ershadifar - Iraqi Woman, Leper
- Sara Jaffri - Haida, Iraqi Teenager
- Rajiv Joseph - Writer
- Rouvan Silogix - Director
- Lorenzo Savoini - Set and Lighting Designer
- Ming Wong - Costume Designer
- John Gzowski - Sound Designer
- Geoff Scovell - Fight Director
- Corey Tazmania - Intimacy Director
- Israa Abdul JaLeel - Iraqi-Arabic Language Speaking Coach
- Lisa Nighswander - Head of Props
- Laura Delchiaro - Head of Wardrobe
- Laura Baxter - Stage Manager
- Bradley Dunn - Assistant Stage Manager