The Emancipation of Ms. Lovely
- Emancipation Arts in Association with Crow’s Theatre
- Created by and starring Ngozi Paul
- Mar 28 - Apr 8, 2017
- 90 mins
Ms. Lovely is searching for love. In this hilarious and evocative tale we meet Lovely at different stages in her life as she struggles with her understanding of herself as a Black woman and awakens to her sexual identity as mirrored through popular culture. Personal stories from Lovely's life interweave with the story of Sarah Baartman (The Venus Hottentot), the historical symbol of the commodification of black women’s sexuality. From the 21st century twerk to the “faux-cul” of the 19th century, we travel a musical landscape using movement, sound, dance and projection while re-examining our relationship with ourselves, our sex and the dark matter that binds us all. Lovely discovers that she has the power to break the cycle and become free, rejecting the image of herself that she’s been buying into, looking for self love and emancipation on her journey.
The Emancipation of Ms. Lovely won the Spotlight Award for best performance of the 2015 Summerworks festival Canada's Largest Theatre Festival and was the Critic's pick in several publications.
"The magnetic Paul holds every moment onstage in a fierce, funny and moving performance."
-NNNN, NOW Magazine
Media & Publicity Enquiries:
Jess Harris, Touchwood PR, email@example.com, 416-593-0777
- Ngozi Paul
- Waleed Abdulhamid - Musician and Sound Designer
- Judith Bowden - Set Designer
- Erin Gerofsky - Associate Set Designer
- Julia Girmenia - Associate Producer
- Ashley Ireland - Stage Manager
- Roger Jeffrey - Chroeographer
- Kaleigh Krysztofiak - Lighting Designer
- Jeannette Linton - Costume Designer
- L'Oqenz - Musician and Sound Designer
- Ngozi Paul - Playwright
- Zack Russell - Director