ROCKING HORSE WINNER
- A Tapestry Opera Production in Association with Crow's Theatre
- Gareth Williams and Anna Chatterton
- Michael Hidetoshi Mori
- Nov 1 - Nov 12, 2023
- Tickets start at $50
- 60 minutes with no intermission
- Guloien Theatre
EIGHT PERFORMANCES ONLY!
Tapestry Opera in association with Crow’s Theatre present a new production of the 2016 world-premiere, award-winning ROCKING HORSE WINNER by Gareth Williams and Anna Chatterton, directed by Michael Hidetoshi Mori.
Winner of five Dora Mavor Moore Awards, including Outstanding Production and Outstanding Direction, ROCKING HORSE WINNER is a modern adaptation of D. H. Lawrence’s masterful short story of the same name. This powerful one-act opera combines magical realism and lyrical minimalism to offer an intimate, psychological look at love, luck, greed, and obsession.
Tapestry Opera is an award-winning, Toronto-based company dedicated to creating, developing, and performing original Canadian opera that resonates with and enriches a diverse Canadian public. Tapestry is passionate about uniquely Canadian stories told in innovative settings and unforgettably interpreted by world-class artists.Download the ROCKING HORSE WINNER Access Guide:Download the House Programme:Audience Advisory:ROCKING HORSE WINNER contains a character’s death, a dysfunctional mother-son relationship, and gambling. Some sequences are dark and shadowy.
Masks Required Performance:
- Sunday, November 5 @ 1:30pm (also a Pay-What-You-Can performance)
- Wednesday, November 8 @ 7:30pm
Post-Show Talkback with the Creative Team:
- Saturday, November 4, 2023 matinee performance
Stay after the show for a glimpse behind the curtain! Learn behind-the-scenes details, character motivations, what this process was like for the team, and more! Assistant Director 郝邦宇 Steven Hao moderates a lively discussion featuring Michael Hidetoshi Mori, Anna Chatterton, Gareth Williams, Kamna Gupta, and cast members.
Pre-Show Chat in the Lobby – Matinée with a Book Club chat (arrive early!):
- Sunday, November 12 @ 12:30pm
D.H. Lawrence was a radical thinker whose notions of class, propriety, and freedom infuse his work, including Rocking Horse Winner. Deepen your experience and learn something new in a pre-show Book Club featuring Dr. Colleen Renihan, Dr. Melba Cuddy-Keane, and Dr. Meg Fox talking about Lawrence’s politics, the radical roots of contemporary opera, and some hidden gems to take with you into the theatre.
“Rocking Horse Winner is a winner.” The Globe and Mail
💎 Subscribe & Save! Purchase a four or six ticket flexible subscription and save up to 30% compared to single tickets!
To learn more about Tapestry Opera, visit https://tapestryopera.com/.
- Asitha Tennekoon - Paul
- Lucia Cesaroni - Ava
- Peter McGillivray - Bassett
- Keith Klassen - Oscar
- Midori Marsh - The House
- Alex Hetherington - The House
- Anika Venkatesh - The House
- Korin Thomas-Smith - The House
- Aysel Taghi-Zada - Violin
- Tanya Charles Iveniuk - Violin
- Brenna McLane - Viola
- Sybil Shanahan - Cello
- Stéphane Mayer - Répétiteur / Piano
- Gareth Williams - Composer
- Anna Chatterton - Librettist
- Michael Hidetoshi Mori - Director
- Kamna Gupta - Music Director
- 郝邦宇 Steven Hao - Assistant Director
- Ming Wong - Costume Designer
- Echo Zhou 周芷會 - Lighting Designer
- Jawon Kang - Set Designer (Based on original designs by Camellia Koo)
- Carlos Varela - Production Manager
- Micah Champagne - Production Assistant
- Myra A. Malley - Stage Manager
- Tamara Vukovic - Assistant Stage Manager
- Kathleen Johnson - Head of Wardrobe
- Jingyi Zhou - Surtitlist