Photo of Maev Beaty by Kyle Purcell
Secret Life of a Mother
- Crow’s Theatre presents
The SLOM Collective and
The Theatre Centre co-production
- Written by Hannah Moscovitch
with Maev Beaty and Ann-Marie Kerr
Co-created with Marinda De Beer
Developed in residency at The Theatre Centre
- Directed by Ann-Marie Kerr
- Feb 6 - Feb 23, 2020
- 70 Minutes (no intermission)
- Guloien Theatre
A playwright writes an exposé of modern motherhood: a confessional piece about her own darkly funny and taboo-breaking truths. One of her real-life friends, an actress, performs this story, and through it her own motherhood secrets start to surface. These mothers are not the butts of jokes, or the villains, or the perfect angels of the house.Secret Life of a Mother reveals the raw, transcendent and untold secrets of pregnancy, miscarriage, childbirth, and mothering. This is motherhood for the 21st century: hallucinatory, gothic, and empowered.Don't miss the show that The Toronto Star, and The Globe and Mail celebrated in their Top Ten theatre experiences of 2018!
Join us on Friday February 21st for a special pre-show performance from two of Toronto's top comediennes!
Conflicting Contractions- Stand-up/Comedy writer Joanne O'Sullivan and Actor/ Improvisor Christy Bruce join forces to tell the story of two women, two pregnancies, two very different journeys. From conception to birth - how can something so natural be so complicated?
This touching and funny 20 minute piece is a wonderful introduction to the incredible Secret Life of a Mother.
6:45pm In the Lobby Bar
Engrossing and necessary work of theatre. - THE GLOBE AND MAIL
CONTENT ADVISORY: Graphic descriptions in the show could be triggering for some people. Please feel free to call the box office, or ask us in person, if you would like more information in advance.
- Maev Beaty
- Ann-Marie Kerr - Core Creator and Director
- Hannah Moscovitch - Core Creator and Playwright
- Maev Beaty - Core Creator and Actor
- Marinda deBeer - Co-Creator and Producer for the SLOM Collective
- Aislinn Rose - Producer for The Theatre Centre
- Camellia Koo - Scenic Design
- Leigh Ann Vardy - Lighting Design
- Kaleigh Krysztofiak - Associate Lighting Design
- Cameron Davis - Projection
- Debashis Sinha - Sound Design
- Erika Connor - Costume Design
- Natasha Bean-Smith - Stage Manager
- Wesley McKenzie - Production Manager