- An ARC Production in Association with Crow’s Theatre
- Branden Jacobs-Jenkins
- André Sills
- Mar 1 - Mar 20, 2022
- Approximately two hours with intermission
- Guloien Theatre
Whip-smart satire of fear and loathing in a beleaguered industry under siege. - The New York Times
An ambitious group of editorial assistants at a notorious Manhattan magazine vie for a starry life of feature articles and book deals, all while the internet is completely upending their industry. When an ordinary humdrum workday becomes anything but, these aspiring journalists recognize an opportunity to seize a career-defining moment. A Canadian premiere, Gloria tells a story of the lingering effects of trauma in a time when what sells is more important than the truth.
Playwright Branden Jacobs-Jenkins’s many honours include Obie Awards for Best New American Play for Appropriate and An Octoroon, Pulitzer Prize Finalist in Drama for Gloria in 2016, a MacArthur Fellowship, the Paula Vogel Award, a Fulbright Arts Grant, and the inaugural Tennessee Williams Award. Director and ARC Resident Artist André Sills has appeared at Crow’s Theatre in Julius Caesar, at Stratford Festival in the title role in Robert LePage’s Coriolanus, and at Shaw Festival as the lead in An Octoroon, directed by Peter Hinton.
Running time is approximatley two hours with intermission.
Download the GLORIA program HERE.
To learn more about ARC, visit arcstage.com
At ARC, we take a rigorous, bold, socially active, and highly collaborative approach to producing thought-provoking international works in their Canadian premiere. While we hope to avoid ‘spoilers’ when promoting our productions, our shows often deal with war and its associated violence, colonization, adult language, sexual violence, gun violence, mass murder, and suicide. Gun shots will be fired during the performance.We understand that there is subject nature which may cause distress or trigger challenging emotions for some of our audience members. If there are certain themes that you would find particularly disturbing, please speak to someone in patron’s services before entering the theatre or contact the box office via email at email@example.com or call 647.341.7390 ext. 1010.
- Deborah Drakeford* - Gloria/Nan
- Carlos Gonzalez-Vio* - Lorin
- Jonelle Gunderson - Ani/Sasha/Callie
- Savion Roach - Miles/Shawn/Rashaad
- Nabil Traboulsi* - Dean/Devin
- athena kaitlin trinh - Kendra/Jenna
- * ARC resident artist
- André Sills* - Director
- Branden Jacobs-Jenkins - Writer
- Tamara Vuckovic* - Assistant Director & Stage Manager
- Paolo Santalucia - Producer
- Rob Kempson - Associate Producer
- Holly Hilts - Production Manager
- Jackie Chau* - Set & Costume Designer
- Chris Malkowski - Lighting Designer
- Christopher Stanton - Sound Designer
- Hannah MacMillan - Apprentice Stage Manager
- * ARC resident artist